Thursday, October 28, 2010

Yummy Dinner


It feels soooooo good to make a dinner that has your honey purring and later telling you, "That was really good", especially if he is a man of few words and scarcely uses adjectives. Since dinner tonight was a success (and really easy), I think it deserves posting. It is inspired from something I saw Jessica Seinfield make on Oprah the other day, but I didn't get the recipe, and I don't measure, so... here it goes!


MENU

Lemon Rosemary Chicken

Root Vegetables

Biscuits



Lemon Rosemary Chicken


1 whole fryer (I used a 3lb. chicken)

1 lemon

rosemary sprigs

olive oil

salt

pepper

kitchen string


Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Clean the chicken, removing the innards, neck, and tail. Place on a large baking sheet. Rinse the lemon and use a pairing knife to cut random 1/2 inch gashes in the lemon. Stick the whole lemon in the cavity of the chicken. Add 4 or 5 rosemary sprigs to the cavity. Pour about 2 Tbsp. olive oil on the outside of the chicken and give it a good massage. Salt and pepper both sides of the oily bird generously. Tie the legs together tightly with the kitchen string, tuck the wings under the front of the chicken.


Root Vegetables


Parsnips (Look like big white carrots)

Carrots (I used baby ones to save on time)

New Potatoes (I used purple potatoes from Randall's-- AMAZING, and very pretty)


Peel parsnips and carrots. Cut in 1/2 inch chunks. (You can leave the baby carrots whole.) Cut the potatoes in halves. Place vegetables around chicken on baking sheet. Drizzle vegetables with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.


Roast chicken and vegetables in the oven at 375 for about an hour and a half.



Biscuits


I cheated and used Pioneer baking mix, and they were YUMMY! :)


Hope you and yours enjoy this meal as much as my little family did! :)

2 comments:

  1. It all sounds wonderful, except the rosemary. I love the way it smells in the yard, but can't learn to like it on my plate. And I am definitely not a picky eater. If I had been at your house tonight, I would have politely eaten it, but I'll just use the lemon when I try this. And the chicken and the veggie chunks were ok at the same temp/time? I still have a problem with getting a whole meal ready at the same time. Some burning or cold, some still raw...

    ReplyDelete
  2. To confirm what my lovely wife said, dinner was amazing. Especially the veggies. Rosemary wasn't necessary. In fact, had I another chance to eat, I'd skip the chicken altogether and pig out on carrots, parsnips, and purple potatoes. Maybe beets would've been good too...I like a good beat, but I LOVE beets. Then you can use the chicken to make chicken and dumplings the next night. Double victory.

    ReplyDelete