Friday, May 15, 2009

c/o: Mothers

Today we went to a playdate at a friend's house. Emma spit up on her burp rag and on the table. I didn't realize how much she had spit up on the burp rag, so in my efforts to clean the table, I continued to multiply the spit up. It was gross! Sorry Jenny!!!

I have permission from Clark to tell this next tid-bit. Last night Emma decided she was hungry. When Emma decides something, there is no changing her mind or putting her off for a little bit. She wanted food, and she wanted it immediately. SO-- with her on my hip, I am semi-hurriedly making a bottle and mixing rice cereal in a baby bowl, getting her Bumbo ready for use, etc. In walks Clark. I guess he sees me doing all the things I'm doing (?), but he is busy preparing his workout clothes and gymbag for the morning. I somehow got baby, bottle, bowl, and Bumbo to the table and began successfully feeding Emma when Clark asked me if he had clean jeans. I told him that his jeans were indeed clean but in a mountain of clean clothes on our bed, so if he wanted them to be wrinkle free, he probably needed to go get them and fold them. OR, I said, "Do you want to feed Emma, and I'll go fold your jeans (and all your other clothes)???" He said, "I'll take care of myself, thank you." OR I guess it could have been "I'll take care of myself. Thank you." EITHER WAY--- It struck me as really ironic that while I had rice cereal in my eyelashes he was going to take care of himself. I guess I should have been thankful that it was one less person to take care of, but I selfishly though, "WOW! What's that like-- taking care of just yourself????" I've often wondered what would happen if I just handed him Emma and said, "I'm going to run to ______. Love you!" Tee-hee.... Panic!!!! That's what would happen! He does hang out with Emma while I run errands, and he is great with her! But I guess it's kind of like in Indian families: the daddy could leave to go hunting at any time, but mommy has the baby strapped to her. Being a mommy sure does make you realize all the things your mom did that you took for granted, how she was always the last one to go to sleep, or how your clothes always magically made it from the washer to the dryer, or how she never lost your record of vaccinations even though it's just a flimsy piece of paper! Motherhood is such a selfless business. I'm glad that you are allowed to learn by watching wonderful examples (thank you, Momma) and through a bit of trial and error. Happy Friday, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. yes. it does make you appreciative of your mom- when you become a mom. i have a friend who prioritizes things by whether they have a soul or not. Emma- has a soul. Clark- has a soul. clark's jeans- no soul= they can wait a little bit. i call my mom at least once a week to thank her for something (usually something i just did for one of my children), and/or to appologize for my behavior as a child (usually after dealing with similar behavior in one of my own children) you are not alone in your appreciation of your momma, either- she's one great lady!

    ReplyDelete